Monday, August 23, 2010

Woodward Dream Cruise 2010

I was never "into" cars the way a lot of my friends were -- gearheads and dirtballs (as they were called in my high school) spoke a completely different language, and I didn't think I could learn it.  I could tell a Mustang from a Charger from a Barracuda, because those were what was in our high school parking lot, but that was about it.  That was Long Island, in the early 1970's.

Fast forward to SE Michigan, 2010.  The annual Woodward Dream Cruise was this Saturday, and Wiggy and I went off to see it, armed with folding chairs, water bottles, many cameras (that's Wiggy's thing), and umbrellas.  Thank God for the umbrellas -- it rained almost the whole time we were there.  Wiggy ran into a friend of his, who invited us under their tent, so we didn't have to hold umbrellas over the camera.  Thanks, Grumpy!

But the cars.  Wow.  Just -- wow.  Yes, the muscle cars were there and suddenly I was a senior in high school again (hi, Rene!  hi, Tom and Fred and Geoff and all the boys who owned three cars and cannibalized two for the parts to make the third one run!).   And I found myself falling in love with cars that are older even than I am.   1940-something Mercuries; 1930-something Ford pickups; 1957 BelAirs. 


WANT.  I have told Wiggy he can pick one up whenever he gets a chance.

Who knew?  35 years after the fact, I become a classic car buff.

Not much stitching this weekend.  After the Cruise, I picked Mom up at the airport and collapsed into bed early.  Sunday was New Member Welcoming at our church, and then out for a fancy-schmancy lunch at Culver's.  We love Culver's, it's our favorite guilty pleasure.

According to the rotation, it's time for me to put Midnight Watch aside for a while and pick up The Marriage of Minds.  I need to reconfigure my lap stand to accommodate the roller bars first, and I'm eager to get started on this one.  It's big and elaborate and has lots of interesting stitches -- I can always count on Drawn Thread to give me a good challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment