Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Hallowe'en rarity for me

I'm not really a Hallowe'en stitcher.  Autumn, yes; harvest, yes; Thanksgiving, yes; Hallowe'en not so much.  I think because so many of the witch and monster and jack o'lantern patterns strike me as a little too cutesy or twee -- not really my thing, you know?  But I fell in love with Blackbird Designs "Midnight Watch" and have been stitching on it for a week now.  Love the border, love the checkerboard pumpkins, love the cat silhouette against the big full moon, love the whole thing!  It's Hallowe'en, it's a sampler, it's not at all cutesy, and I'm a happy camper.

I do wonder about the floss requirements, though.  The pattern notes state that it requires two full skeins of CC Gingersnap and GAST Gingersnap.  There's no note about extra amounts of any other color, so I assume from that omission that you only need one skein of the other colors.  Now the cat silhouette, the vast majority of the border, the trim on the house and at least one-half of the alphabet are done in CC Blackbird.  I've done the cat and one-third of the border, and I've already gone through more than one whole skein of Blackbird.  I'm thinking it'll take a good three skeins, maybe four, to finish the piece. 

Is anyone else doing Midnight Watch?  Are you finding the same thing about the amount of Blackbird needed?

No comments:

Post a Comment