Saturday, May 2, 2015

Bicycle

So I took my new-to-me thrift shop Schwinn to Main Street Bikes yesterday.  It's early May;  Michigan is finally admitting (late and grumpily) that spring is amongst us, and I have the itch to ride.

I haven't really ridden a bike since I was ten, but I've been thinking about it for a couple of years.  I look online at all the pretty bicycles, go to stores and test ride them, and then something comes up and the bike money gets spent on whatever the emergency is.  So up until last fall, I had no bike.  Wiggy now has three -- a hybrid bought new several years ago, a vintage-look, also bought new, and a thrift-store find of the newspaper-delivery type.  He doesn't ride any of them, and they tangle up in the garage with the out-of-work snowblower or lawnmower, depending upon season.  I actually like his hybrid -- a 2005 Trek  -- but the frame is far too big for me and I can't straddle the bar and have both my feet touch the ground.  It makes mounting and dismounting rather harrowing for a fat newbie.  I feel like Calvin on a bicycle.



No comments:

Post a Comment